MAKE A DONATION
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
MUJER at a Glance
MUJER stands for Men and Women United in Justice Education and Reform. Our mission is to promote healthy lifestyles, emotional wellness and stability by providing services to families and individuals affected by domestic violence and sexual abuse.
Why we need MUJER
- Every year, more than 3 million children witness domestic violence in their homes.
- Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
- Domestic violence is the third leading cause of homelessness among families.
- 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime
- About 3% of American men — or 1 in 33 — have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime
- 20% of adult females and 5-10% of adult males recall a childhood sexual assault or sexual abuse incident;
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12
- On average, more than three women and one man are murdered by their intimate partners in this country every day.
- Nearly three out of four of Americans personally know someone who is or has been a victim of domestic violence.
How MUJER helps
MUJER provides support in any way possible to help victims become survivors and thrive despite the traumatic effects of abuse. Services include:
- Individual and family counseling
- Support groups
- Legal services
- Immigration services for battered immigrants
- Advocacy and emotional support
- Training and opportunities for leadership
- Relocation assistance
- Children groups
MUJER also provides a voice for survivors until they find or recover their own. See our survivor testimonials at http://mujerfla.org/testimonial/
Board of Directors
Maria Lourdes Baeza, Community member, President
Rolando Contreras, HR Staffing Director/MDPSS, Vice President
Laurie S. Scop, Behavioral Health Patient Advocate/UM, Secretary
Neli Murguia, Accountant/We Care, Treasurer
Josefina Juarez, Retired/Farm Worker Specialist, Member
Idania Kestel, Commercial Lender-1st National, Member
Tracey Ann Bowen Bell, Educator/MDC, Member
Veronica Rivera, School Counselor, Member
Maria Willumsen, Professor/FIU, Member
Velkis Alicia Silva, Community Member, Member