Why we need MUJER
- Every year, more than 3 million children witness domestic violence in their homes.
- Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
- Domestic violence is the third leading cause of homelessness among families.
- 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime
- About 3% of American men — or 1 in 33 — have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime
- 20% of adult females and 5-10% of adult males recall a childhood sexual assault or sexual abuse incident;
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12
- On average, more than three women and one man are murdered by their intimate partners in this country every day.
- Nearly three out of four of Americans PERSONALLY know someone who is or has been a victim of domestic violence.